DVLA

Pictures and mumblings that may be of interest to family members.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Desk Chair






It seems like a good time to acquire a good used desk chair, as the economy slows down and the demand for them dwindles. I got this Steelcase "Leap"at ABE in El Monte, CA for $200. It was made in 2001, but it looks and feels as good as new. 

I love this thing. My old desk chair was also a Steelcase, which I bought used in the mid 1990s. It was still in great shape, but it had no arm rests, and not very many adjustments. I had trouble working at my computer for very long because I would start getting a lot of old-man aches in a very short time. Now, I hope I'll be able to stick to more of the desk tasks I'd like to get accomplished at home in the evenings.

I looked at a very simple Herman Miller chair at Costco earlier this week for $300. I'm sure it was well made, but comparatively, it seemed like a box-kite next to my new (slightly-used) Blackhawk helicopter.

I'm thinking that if you spend a lot of time in your desk chair, the money you spend to buy a good one is one of the best investments you can make, and it's a buyer's market for used desk chairs right now.

It has lots of adjustments to make it fit the owner, and even a mini user-guide beneath the arm-rests, so you don't have try several different controls to find the one you want.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wray Davis said...

That's a pretty snazzy chair! I've been in three different chairs so far this year since I've been working at home, and now I'm going to see a back doctor....

1/11/2009 4:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought you had a Herman Miller before? Glad you like your new chair

1/12/2009 5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home